Friday, October 16, 2015

Be a beginner!

"You can learn new things at any time in your life if you're willing to be a beginner. If you actually learn to like being a beginner, the whole world opens up to you." Barbara Sher


I like this quote by Barbara Sher because it reminds me of my life. I am interested in doing many things, so I am often in that position of being a beginner. I have sometimes questioned myself for putting myself in challenging situations - joining a new group, starting a new enterprise, learning new skills for a project I have taken on. It is not comfortable to be a "beginner." I sometimes long to be an expert in one thing instead of a beginner in many. Both have value. Expertise comes over time. It is the reward after a lifetime of hard work. But even if you are an expert in one area of life, there is always the opportunity to be a beginner in another. Being a beginner forces you out of your comfort zone, which is where all growth takes place. Being a beginner is the same as being an adventurer. You will have to go into unfamiliar territory, but there is an excitement in the possibility of what you will discover. And it is likely the most amazing discovery will be the person you become on the journey!





No comments:

Post a Comment