Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Contentment!


To me, this is the picture of contentment. Our family adopted a new kitten just before Christmas. We named him Snoopy. It is hard to believe how much joy this newest addition to the family has brought all of us. It's hardest to believe for me, who was the hold-out for getting a pet.

I didn't want to get a pet because I didn't desire one for myself. I felt too busy for a pet. With my kids reaching an age of independence, I was loving the freedom I had. All I could see was more work, mess, and responsibility for me.

But I did think a pet would be nice for my children. And my husband seemed excited at the prospect of a pet. Of course he agreed I would be the one who would be impacted most by the work involved in having a family pet. After spending some time with a friend's kittens and taking care of another friend's dog, I started to soften on the idea. I inquired with the Meow Foundation (who rescues and fosters cats and kittens) and the next thing I knew, we had Snoopy.

He is so loved by everyone in the family. We couldn't imagine our life without him now. But what surprises me most is my own reaction to having him in the family. I have learned so much from our adorable new kitten.

I didn't think about the contentment I would feel being around Snoopy. Seeing him sleeping on the sofa or having him curl up in my lap is like a tonic for anything that ails me. He forces me to slow down because I want to spend time just observing him. The feeling of joy I experience when he lays down on my chest and purrs like a quiet engine, is amazing to me. When he plays soccer with little bouncy balls, I could sit and laugh at him for hours. When he rolls over waiting for me to pet him, I admire how he just expects to be loved and adored. His self-esteem is well intact. He knows how loveable he is and has no problem receiving all the love and attention bestowed on him.

I admire Snoopy's contentment, playfulness and self esteem, but I think one of the greatest gifts I have received from him is 'being in the moment'. Animals appear to live in the moment in a way that most humans do not. We are often lost in the world of our thoughts. Our pets seem to be experiencing the moment all the time and I think they help us do the same. Just being in Snoopy's company is relaxing.

There are teachers all around us when we are open to learning. I couldn't have learned more about contentment and presence from a Masters Course on the subject, than I learned from my professor, Snoopy the Kitten.

No comments:

Post a Comment