Wednesday, July 20, 2016

You Don't Have To Do It Alone


This week I have been thinking a lot about support. No matter what challenges are in our lives, it is easier to face them knowing we have someone or something supporting us. My friend's husband died in an accident this week and I am constantly thinking about her. There aren't many more challenging situations to go through than that. But I was reminded of the powerful story of Suzie Morrow (her story is in a previous blog post), and how she worked through the tragedy of losing her husband by focusing on creating the best life possible for her and her children. Her story is such an inspiration. 

I also thought about how another friend of the woman whose husband died, set up a schedule of people to support her each day over the next few weeks with whatever she needs (meals, errands, someone to listen). I thought that was such a great idea. Whenever we are faced with something so overwhelming, it helps to have people around to support us as we take each step forward to rebuilding our lives.

And support is not just important in a crisis. We need support with all the things we want to build and create in our lives. I am on holidays with my children right now and I didn't want to fall into a lazy holiday routine, so my son and I made a fitness plan for our vacation. I know I wouldn't have gotten up early in the morning to run hills by myself! Having someone else that we are accountable to and will encourage us and then doing the same for them, is a win-win. Everything is more achievable when we know someone has our back and is there to help us move forward.

We all need support as we go through all the stages of life. It's important to be able to ask for it or accept it when we need it and equally as important to give it when we can. For me, being a part of a supportive network is definitely a key ingredient for living my best life. What can you do to create the support you would like in your life and to give it to those in need?





No comments:

Post a Comment