Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Making the Right Choice?




I took a series of personal development courses in my late teens and early twenties that focussed on the idea that our lives are a product of our choices. When life is going well, that concept sounds great. When life is challenging, that concept seems like a judgement. It also puts a lot of pressure on us to make the "right choices."

Now that I am older and have more life experiences to reflect on, I do believe that my choices have led me to where I am today. Some of my choices were good and others weren't, but all of them taught me things. The patterns of my choices have also taught me things. When think of choices I made  to play it safe or give up, I look back with some regrets. When look at choices I made that were brave and forced me out of my comfort zone, I feel proud of myself. Even when those choices didn't lead exactly where I thought they would, those were the times I grew the most.

Recently, I have debating a choice about whether to take a course. It is something I would like to do, but it is expensive and will take time away from my family and could lead me on a path that will significantly change my life. When I look at the pros and cons, I can see that I am really hesitating because of fear, (fear of an unknown future, of wasting money, of wasting time, of change, etc.). If I take the course and my fears prove true, I think I will still come out a winner because I will have learned something new that will change my perspective. I will have also faced my fears, which always leads to growth.

Is there something that you would like to do in your life right now that your are avoiding because of fear? If you are struggling with a decision, you probably know deep down what you really want. I like the quote below from Nelson Mandela, "May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."
That helped me make my choice, (yes to taking the course)! I hope it helps you make your choice(s) too!



No comments:

Post a Comment